Follow Up to Sometimes Quilts Need to Relax

I had several requests for photos of a challenging-to-quilt top that I just completed.  I blogged about my process in tackling the quilt here.  What do you think of the end result?

Longarm Free Motion QuiltingHere’s the reverse:Back Side of a Challenging Quilt

And the cutest squirrel ever (back side of quilt):Longarm quilted squirrel

Mr. Moose strolling through the trees (back view):Longarm Quilted Moose

I was pretty pleased that nothing puckered!  Speaking of which, here’s a photo of that lumpy border before quilting:Quilt BorderAnd the same spot after quilting:

Free motion quilting

You’ll notice the border does bow in a bit, but it’s not puckered!  <grin>  Be encouraged!  Be P A T I E N T!  Be P E R S I S T E N T!!!

Please share how you tackle challenging quilts – the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Wait.  NO quilt is EVER ugly! But do share so we all can build confidence in quilting and sewing.  Thanks!

Comments

1. Great job! You go girl!!!

2. This will be a great inspiration when I have quilts with even half as much fullness. Thanks for the full story.

3. Christine Penney says:

Lovely! Such a difference with the machine quilting. When I finally get around to making one for myself I will call you to quilt it for sure.

4. Joanne K says:

Emily, you turned the challenging quilt into an heirloom that the customer will treasure. Beautifully done!

5. Unbelievable!!! Great work!!

6. All I can say is WOW. With your patience, you have done a GREAT job dealing with all the problems. The quilt maker sure got lucky in having you quilt her top.

7. Joyce Austin says:

Wow! That really was an amazing transformation. thanks for sharing your logic and methods. They will help us all next time we get a wonky quilt.

8. Bernice says:

I think that what you did was absolutely amazing!! No words…

9. Jennifer says:

You did an amazing job! I love how you worked this all out. Thank you for teaching us all some amazing tips. Beautiful.

10. You did such an amazing job taming that quilt top. Putting the critters in there is pure genius. Did you draw them in first or just quilt them as you came to them? Again, amazing.

11. That was a miracle transformation of a pita into a peacock. You are a master at taming the wild beast, that’s for sure. Beautiful work.

12. OMG! When I saw that early photo of how much excess fabric there was, I thought it would be impossible to quilt this top. I can’t believe you were able to do it, AND you did an incredible job in the process! Really, you did an incredible job! Thank you so much for posting about the process.

• Patsy, your comments were so kind and I apologize for not responding sooner. I’m still learning the blogging process. I appreciate your compliments VERY much. Happy quilting!

13. Pam Little says:

Emily I just found your blog. Thank you SO much for writing the posts and for the video. What a great attitude you have about quilt tops who are thus far failing to meet their potential. I’m a new quilter and just love it. Thanks so much.

• Pam, I apologize for not responding sooner! I’ve been a quilter for awhile, but a blogging is something new to me…. Quilting is amazing – I hope you’ll love it as much as I do. I’m glad you enjoyed the video. Don’t give up on quilts that seem difficult. There’s always a way to finish them.

Trackbacks